Friday, March 23, 2012

Obsessed vs Committed

Sometimes I wonder if I am taking my role as a mother too seriously. Are all mothers like me or am I like that only cos I found my calling in life? I enjoy being a mother and a homemaker. Yes, there are times when I miss being the career woman, dressed in my power suit, fighting fire in the office or fighting for my department when it comes under fire during meetings. But overall, I enjoy looking for new recipes for the family and discovering ways to make my kids stronger and healthier. Some friends say I'm obsessed with my kids and that I'll be the worst kind of MIL simply cos I dun want my boys to leave me for another woman; others say I'm committed. Where do we draw the line between the two? I dun mind giving up time with my friends and when I do go out, I worry abt my kids at home (that's if I dun bring them along). The hubs is also often sacrificed for the benefit of the boys. My family is the center of my entire being and some say it's not healthy. Since I stopped work, no other conversations enthused me more than those about family and/or kids. I'm currently reading a book called 'The 10 Habits of Happy Mothers' (yes, even my reading preference has been influenced) and it says "healthy self-esteem buffers us from the bad stuff in life. When tough times surface, those of us who like who we are allow ourselves to accept that we are the center of our children's lives. We are their anchor and life-line. We mothers are irreplaceable and the sooner we avail ourselves of this very simple, deep truth, the more content we can be." This simply means we should feel "indispensable and make no apologies (for it)". Besides being less critical about my role as a mother (I'm constantly feeling that I can do better in many aspects), this is, perhaps, one concept I have to embrace. As a mother, I should be proud that I am indispensable and believe that nobody will be a better mother to my children simply cos nobody will love them the way I do.

No comments: