Sunday, January 20, 2013

Single Parenthood

I haven't blogged since the year started cos I've been so busy. We came back to SG and it's been busy all the way. The hubs had to be back in Jogja for his exams and subsequent field trip and I have to take care of Dallen and Dayen all by myself. Ok, not really cos I have the help of my parents. But it's bad enough.

A change in environment means Dayen is an extra handful. He doesn't have the familiarity of his cot, no quiet and still environment to sleep in and even the ritual of dinnertime is different. He takes time to adapt and while he's at it, my temper flared. Doesn't help that Dallen has lots if energy stored up and nowhere to expend them. It's been raining almost everyday and we're not able to spend much time outdoors. I've tried to set some kind of routine but it's still not the same and the kids end up being more difficult to handle. Going out with sis helps, of cos. But I know most of the time Dallen is bored. Can't say I blame him, really. And since he doesn't have most of his stuff with him, he doesn't do much and just watches tv. Too much of tv, much more than I'm comfortable with.

So I struggled through the first 2 weeks of single parenthood and is now into the third week. I'm doing ok, not as exhausted as I thought I'll be but it's tiring nonetheless. Moreover, staying with the folks and needing their help means I have to more or less abide by their rules and even at times when I didn't like the way they handled the boys, I let it pass lest I appear ungrateful. When it comes to mum, I basically tell her off. But dad's a different ballgame altogether. It made me realise, once again, what a privilege it is to be a SAHM. Cos that means nobody but me dictates how my kids are being brought up. My folks have an entirely different style of parenting, one I'll definitely not adopt. So I'm glad I dun have to contend with that.

This hurdle will pass soon. Another more difficult one will come in July as well as next January and I'm definitely not looking forward to them.









No comments: