Monday, March 15, 2010

Gone To Be A Millionaire For The Weekend

We've been anticipating the move to Yogyakarta for more than a year and this year, the relocation is finally gonna take place and our little family of 3 made a trip there to check things out. It's the first time we took a flight from a budget airline and though I had my reservations, the flight turned out to be ok. The only drawback was the lack of leg-space, which we needed cos of the baby.
I had a preconceived idea of the place and when we reached, the impression still wasn't too bad. We touched down on the tarmac area and had to squeezed with the crowd in the hot sun to get past immigration. But we were pleasantly surprised when an official picked us out and directed us to an express queue cos we had an infant with us. Good service! So we made it past custom pretty quickly and grabbed a cab to Novotel.
The room wasn't half bad and we settled in comfortably. Then hubby made a trip to the uni to check things out and we met a friend for dinner. Before that, we ventured out on our own to see if we were able to find the basic necessities we use on a daily basis. There, the pleasant experience ended. We couldn't find a lot of stuff and the conditions of their idea of city is really quite bad. I thought it will be like Bangkok. But, alas, it's not. There was none of the calmness or orderliness I envisioned. I think the streets are even worse than those in Bali. At least Bali has a pleasant feel to the place, due largely to tourism. Yogyakarta is a different place altogether. Anyway, after grumbling abt it, I'll just have to bite the bullet and go through with the 4 years there. The only good thing: we'll have a much better financial standing once we're back.
Even the lil one is glad to be home.

No comments: