It seems like only yesterday that we touched down in Jogja. But in the blink of an eye, it's been 6 days already. So far so good, except that the lil one is down with cough, runny nose and now, a fever. When we went to the PD to get his medicines, I was hoping they will forever be on standby. But, alas, now we have to put them to good use. Let's hope he will get well soon. Similarly, when I bought hospitalisation insurance for Mum, I didn't think she will ever need it. But I found out from sis that she was hospitalised the very next day we flew off with appendicitis. No great danger. But not a good thing to be sliced open, nonetheless.
Went house-hunting yesterday and was really dismayed at the state of their version of a residential area. It's so deserted and so rundown. But the good thing is, we saw a house that can potentially be home for the next 4 years. It's newly renovated, comes with 4 bedrooms and is 2 storeys, which is ideal for us cos we intend to rent out the rooms so as to cover our rental for that house. Doing a lil B&B and renting out rooms periodically can actually cover our rental for a whole year. Cos the rental is so low. It's like S$290 a month for a 2-storey house. Where to find in SG? The only thing is we need to furnish it, which may be fun but costly. Already we have a lot to pay for. Received news that the aircon back home is leaking and the repair cost is like S$140. Another expense! Strangely, when we were home and using the AC, there was no problem. Right after the tenants moved in, it started to leak. Hmmm...even the AC misses us and is 'crying'.
Still trying to learn the language, which is not as difficult as it initially seems. With a few vocab, you can actually get by. But, of course, being able to converse fluently is essential for staying here for 4 years. But so far, the few vocabs I picked up enabled me to express myself and get things done. Few days back, a fren offered to help me babysit while I get a lil head and shoulder massage. The plan was for her to grab a cab and pick me up at the apartment. But I decided I needed to get out of the comfort zone and force myself to learn the language. So I told her I'll make my own way to the mall instead. Turns out, it wasn't that difficult. The taxi driver rattled off in a string of words and I only managed to catch 'mana'. But that was enuff (cukup). I knew he was asking me where I wanted to go. As we get out and 'immerse' ourselves in the culture and activities, it's actually quite easy to pick up the language. Thank God!
With a very slow internet connection and no other activities to occupy myself with, learning the language seems like a good idea. If we ever get the house, we intended to set up a 'tuition centre' and teach the kids in the area English. I'll be running my own lil B&B and tuition centre. Yippee! Both are what I've always wanted to do. But I'm not sure I can be creative enuff to come up with menu for 3 months of breakfasts. Cos that'll be the lease period for our potential guests. But heck! They can either eat what I cook, or eat outside.
Well, it language learning time. Selamat tinggal!
No comments:
Post a Comment