Monday, November 22, 2010

Apple Crumbles

Before the 5 Nov Merapi eruption, I decided to start baking again and the hubs bought me the necessary baking wares. However, the lil one fell sick and I had to hold off baking for a while, till he gets better. Before that could happen, we were fleeing for our lives and made our way back to Singapore. Our 2-weeks stay there allowed us to bring Dallen to the PD and got him healed before we returned to Jogja. So now that he's recovered and Merapi doesn't pose such a big threat anymore, I started on my baking and made apple crumbles. This was something I have baked before but because of my limitations (e.g. oven size), I had to improvise here and there and while I didn't achieve optimum results, the crumbles turned out ok and I gave some to our neighbour. For those who wanna have a go at baking, try this recipe. It's really simple!


Ingredients:
- 4 large apples
- 250g white sugar (I usually reduce the amount by at least 70g)
- 200g plain flour
- 150g butter (Butter will bring more fragrance than margarine)
- 1 clove cinnamon stick

Method:
=> Filling
- Peel & core the apples and dice into chunks
- Put the apples in a pot and add sugar (leaving about 50g for toppings) and cinnamon
- Stew the apples for half an hour, stirring occasionally (It's important to keep checking so as to avoid burning the apples)
- Cook till apples are soft (Gently mash with spoon to check for doneness). Note that while we want the apples to be soft, we should not overcook them till they become pureed.
- Put in serving dish and allow apples to cool

=> Toppings
- Mix flour, remaining sugar and butter (I'll usually take the butter out from the fridge when I cook the apples so as to soften it a little for easy mixing) in a bowl till you obtain bread crumbs consistency
- Cover the apples with crumble toppings without pressing down

=> Baking
- Set over temperature to 150 degree celsius (this will vary with size of oven)
- Bake till crumble is golden brown and crunchy (The recipe estimates 30 min. But again, this will vary with size of oven as well as serving dish.)

I usually make double portions of the toppings so that I can create a base for my crumbles. Makes it easier to eat that way. Happy baking! :)

No comments: