We finally got to safety. The crunch came on Friday when Merapi had the worst eruption yet and one of our neighbors informed us that they’re leaving for Jakarta that very night for an unknown period of time.
Everything happened so…nicely, for lack of a better word. We stayed up half the night on Thursday after the neighbor called the hubs at about 1am, informing us that there was yet another eruption and the gov widened the unsafe zone and evacuated more people, among whom was her friend. She told us not to go to sleep and to be vigilant and on standby.
There was no evacuation for us that night but judging from the air quality and blanket of ash on our properties the following day, it was indeed the worst eruption since Merapi first took off in Oct. Then the hubs received news that classes have been cancelled for a week and that parts of the school has been converted into a refugee camp. They needed necessities and food. So we went to get food supplies and delivered them to the school. At the supermarket I got worried that the officials might be knocking on our door for us to be evacuated. So I got the hubs to inform our neighbor that we were out and to call us should there be any evacuation. That was when we learned that they were leaving. They were our best allies in the neighbourhood (and comfort as well). And already I was feeling damn pressurized and confused cos people were urging me to return to SG with Dallen first. But I couldn’t allow myself to leave without the hubs. Once again, I was torn between my roles as wife and mother. I didn’t know what to do and absolutely abhorred this lack of direction and control over the situation. So I talked to the hubs and we decided to flee for dear life, together. Darling, you have no idea how much comfort you brought me when you decided that we should all leave together. Your decision put me out of my misery.
So we called the neighbor to ask how long the journey to Jakarta would take so we can know which flight to book our tickets for. Then she suggested we leave together with them that very night. She would help us find a driver and car so we could leave as a convoy. We agreed. So that left us slightly less than 3 hours to book air tickets, pack our belongings, close up the house, make and feed Dallen his dinner (while we had ours consisted of instant noodles and eggs) and wipe him down and prepare for the long journey ahead.
The estimated time of departure was 7-7.30pm and we scrambled like mad. At slightly past 7pm, I went out to take a look and to my horror, the neighbour’s car was missing and the house was all dark! I thought she played us out and left without us. But it turned out to run some errands and will be back to meet up with us. By 7.30pm they were back but there was still no sign of our vehicle and driver. Apparently something was faulty with the vehicle and needed fixing. So the neighbor and her family left first and said they will link up with us again later.
So we waited. By 8.30pm, still no vehicle. I was beginning to panic again and my nerves were frayed. We were never gonna be getting out of Jogja. At about 9pm, it finally arrived. So we loaded the car and started on our 12-hour journey.
It proved to be the worst and most uncomfortable ride of my life. The road condition was horrendous! The road condition and poor suspension of the car notwithstanding, everyone was speeding and trying to get ahead of one another to safety. Between holding down my nausea (it was so bad I wanted to vomit!) and holding the lil one as he slept, I was also trying to find a comfortable position to ease my back which was killing me. Rest proved to be impossible that night. I was also constantly worried that something might happen along the way; the tyres giving way to the atrocious road condition, or the vehicle breaking down (we were travelling along small roads in the middle of nowhere and couldn’t possibly have gotten help), or worse yet, that we’ll meet with an accident. Combine the road condition and the speed at which we were travelling, the driver lost control of the car several times and we felt it swerve.
Finally, we heard the call for prayers from the mosques (which takes place at about 4am daily) and soon after, darkness gave way to light as the first dawn broke. We’ve travelled for roughly about 8 hours. Shortly after, I began to see civilization and thought we were reaching the airport soon. Lo and behold! The driver lost his way! My nerves were on alert again. Couple that with extreme fatigue (I haven’t had proper rest for 2 consecutive nights) and discomfort, my tolerance level was extremely low. But the hubs told me not to voice any opinions, lest it made the driver more nervous and worsened matters. So I kept my mouth shut and with each passing minute was convinced more that we’ll miss the flight.
Apparently the neighbor was worried about us and kept messaging the hubs for updates (we parted ways at one point of the journey as our destinations were different). After covering a lot of unnecessary distance, we finally reached the airport but was deposited at the wrong terminal! So juggling the baby and the luggages with our very tired bodies, we made our way to the correct terminal and finally checked ourselves in and boarded the flight home.
Now that we are home, news from Jogja continues to be dismaying and I learn with shock that flights to and fro Jakarta have been cancelled. I was just there earlier in the day! Imagine that. We could have been stranded in Jakarta! We boarded the last flight out. Thank God!
But as conditions continue to worsen, I’m also thrown with a new worry that looting may take place and that our house may be broken into. Not very much I can do about that. So I decided to shelf that worry for the time being.
This has been one hell of an experience; but also one to be treasured. I mean, how many spoilt Singaporeans who dun realize how fortunate they are have the chance to go through it all? I know the adventure hasn’t come to an end. We’re merely taking a pit-stop at the moment. But for the time being, I’m glad to be back in my homeland again, away from ashes and grey skies, and that constant rumbling in the distance as Merapi continues to brew.
P.S. When we reached home, the mother fussed so much over us and went on and on about how worried she was and how we have all lost weight and lamenting about why we have to go to Indonesia. Ordinarily, that would have irritated me immensely. But I am so glad to be back safely that I find the familiarity of her nagging strangely comforting.
No comments:
Post a Comment