Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Home Is Where The Heart Is

It’s always been said, home is where the heart is. I’ve never really given this much thought till we relocate to Jogja. In recent months, we’ve came back to Singapore for one reason or another. In the beginning, we always looked forward to coming back. I recalled I was so excited at the prospect of flying back that I couldn’t sleep the night before. But as the trips became longer and more frequent, I found I can’t wait to leave Singapore. Being in Singapore is really detrimental to the weight as well as the pocket. Everything is so expensive and each trip really burned a big hole in both our pockets. While we enjoyed catching up with friends and relishing food which we missed, I found that I actually yearned to go back home. And home in question now is Jogja; not Singapore. When we say we’re going home, we actually meant Jogja. When we are in Singapore, I actually felt less at home. Staying at mum’s certainly had its advantages. Free housekeeping and catering services, not to mention babysitting. But we were not on home ground and I really couldn’t stand her constant nagging (then I was reminded of how we stepped on each other’s toes before I shifted out and how the relationship actually improved thereafter cos we had less contact). I actually missed my household chores and I wanted to be the one calling the shots in the house (at least where cooking and cleaning are concerned). Instead, I found myself eating all the time and sitting around doing nothing. For someone who never had an easy life, this was very uncomfortable for me. I actually felt so lost! There was nothing for me to do! With more food intake and less energy output, I piled on the kilos and always felt disgusted with myself at the end of the trip. I disembarked feeling good and victorious cos I always managed to lose weight before we return to SG. But just a couple of days after setting foot on our native soil, I’ll feel greasy and fat and totally guilty about the food I consumed and still thought about! I’ve become such a glutton! So I really can’t wait to get back to Jogja, where life seemed more real and I shed those kilos almost unknowingly.

We’ve stayed longer than expected this trip and while I’m still apprehensive about the lil one breathing in the ash, I really couldn’t wait to get back. I needed to restore normalcy and a lil monotony in my very scheduled life and get my fat ass off the chair before it becomes too big and heavy and collapse the carpentry that it’s sitting on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its good that you have made Jogja your home, but as you had also said, home is where the heart is, I hope that regardless where home is, be it Singapore, Jogja or where ever life bring you and your family, happiness be with you always..

You have a lucky husband..