Thursday, November 11, 2010

From One Mother to Another

My mum told me this morning that, in her opinion, I didn’t know how to take care of my son. This cut me to the quick. Ever since I gave birth to Dallen, I gave him my all. I had his best interest at heart and I took great pains to make sure he got the best (e.g. planning his meals and making sure he has a balanced diet). And today, just cos I haven’t potty-trained him, I’m labeled as a bad mother. Big fucking deal! I’d rather wait till he’s ready than to force him and make him repulse at the sight of the potty. So what if my great-grandmother potty-trained my brother when he was just a few months old? Good on her! But if mum really wants to compare, then my first retort would be that she wasn’t the one who took care of her own children. So what gives her the rights to judge me?! She had help with all her 3 children. I had none! As a first-time mother I had to find out information on my own (thank God for internet!), manage the home, relocate (a big project in and of itself), and attend to a myriad of other small details. My only consolation was that I have a very hands-on husband. And even that she wanna make it into something bad. She said I was too reliant on the hubs. I beg to differ. Dallen is his son too. Why shouldn’t he share in the responsibilities of parenthood? Where was she when I was slogging my guts out, maintaining the house and fulfilling my duties? Where was she when I collapse cos I was so tired? Where was she when I broke down in tears cos I really couldn’t take it anymore? Does she really think having a chubby, happy baby comes naturally without any effort? She didn’t even take care of her own children full-time. Seriously, I’m very sick and tired of hearing her complaining about my child-rearing method. Everyday, every single day, she’ll find something to complain about me. So Dallen is down with bronchitis. Most kids go through that. I probably did too. She just didn’t know cos she wasn’t my primary caregiver. Even the PD said it’s hereditary. So what makes mum thinks she’s the know-it-all?! She wasn’t even there! When I broke my teeth as a kid, it was a very scared and worried Godma who rushed me to the clinic. I may be young. But that memory was etched deeply in my mind.

So there you have it. I’m a lousy mother; from one mother to another.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, I think you make a better mother just by not picking the "not there" bones with your mum. Good job. Personally, I think you make a great mother and wife. Your husband is very lucky.

Just Me said...

Thanks! :)