I've been stepping up on my reading to the boys because I realise it makes them watch less videos on the phone (and I eat less because my mouth is occupied with reading. Great for losing weight! Yay!) and, of course, who can refute the benefits of reading. So I decided to launch a new programme in my blog called the "Bookworm Talk", where I give reviews and recommend books where appropriate.
To start off, I'm recommending this book titled "I Knew You Could!". We ordered this book from the school a while back and what caught my eyes was really the picture of a train on its cover. Dayen loves train and admittedly, a lot of books (and toys) we have now are bought for Dallen. So when I saw the book, I wasn't very concerned about the content and after just a quick read-through, I put down the order for Dayen.
We got the book on the last day of this term and I clean forgotten that we have bought books for the boys through the school. But this turned out to be quite a gem. It tells of life's lessons in simple context and the colours and pictures keep the boys interested.
The story is told from the perspective of a train. This allows parents to elaborate and adapt the lessons and advices to our lives and through the interpretation, gives parents and children the opportunity to discuss and communicate. Great tool to connect with the children and spend some productive time with them.
I'll leave you with this, which I adapted from the last page of the book:
"There's more about life that you'll learn as you go,
Because figuring things out on your own helps you grow.
Just trust in yourself, and you'll climb every hill.
Say, "I think I can!" and you know what?
You will!"



No comments:
Post a Comment