Friday, March 14, 2014

Times Have Changed; So Have Our Kids

Today's the last day of school and that marked the boys' first term in their new school. I won't call it uneventful but there sure wasn't the joy and enthusiasm that the boys used to display. I got worried because there was no communication from the school; I didn't know how my boys are doing since there was no feedback from the teachers and I have no idea what the boys have learned, let alone reinforce their learning at home because we weren't given the lesson plan. I'm not comparing but just sharing some "best practices" that BDP used to have. Every Friday we received the boys' progress report and the following week's lesson plan. This much I told their current principal and she promised they'll do more next term. 

To close the term, there was a PTM of sorts (the school calls it a tea party and it comes complete with snacks and refreshments) and parents we're addresses by the school principal before we proceeded to chat with the children's respective teachers. What the principal shared didn't paint us a very rosy picture. It wasn't even encouraging. 

It was observed that this batch of students have, shall we say, a lot of work to do. And by this, she's not referring to their academic curriculum. In fact, she has informed the parents that the school will be cutting back on their emphasis on the students academic progress. They want to build up the students' character instead. 

What she and her team of teachers observed has left them feeling very disturbed. Our children lack discipline, do not have self-control, are demanding and do not have the correct values for them to be good individuals. They also lack the resilience to meet life's challenges; the immediate one of which, will be their transition into primary school. 

She also stressed that children are given WAY too much exposure to the Telly and other gadgets, so much so that their brains are not functioning optimally. The children are so used to just staring into screens without using their brains. She gave this example: 

She usually gives her class (Dallen's class! And I keep wondering if she's referring to Dallen!) 3 instructions to follow (instructions given to pre-school children should not exceed 3):
1) open your bag
2) take out your file
3) put them in the basket

Simple enough right? But the students either stare blankly at her (not listening at all), or tell her the file is in the bag (receives the instruction but there are no processing done in the brain) or struggle with the zip on the bag (lacking in motor skills). And this, are K1 students who turn 5 years old this academic year. 

Another example she gave: students were happily walking when they suddenly banged against the wall. They walked right into the wall! Parents are so protective of their children that they have taken over their children's bodily functions. Children who are old enough to be independent are instead being pushed on prams or have their hands held as they walk. This way, they need not use their eyes and slowly but surely, they have forgotten how to use their own body parts! 

These are just 2 of the many examples she has shared which actually sent chills down my spine. I quickly did a mental check and was a little relieved that these largely (not entirely) do not apply to my sons. 

The school used to incorporate computer use in their curriculum but this has been removed and the children will be brought outdoors (when the conditions are appropriate) more. They will be tasked to do gardening in a new plot of land which the school has newly acquired. The principal leaned forward, look us in the eyes and informed us that our children will be working UNDER THE HOT SUN (and she drawled on these 4 words) and working with REAL tools, NOT plastic tools. 

She has made it her mission to toughen our tofu-soft children. She wants to prepare them for primary school because she doesn't want them to end up in IMH. 

Before this session, I was really having doubts if we have chosen the correct school for the boys. I wasn't very impressed with the school and do not like having no information and I don't see the boys learning much. But now, I'm really grateful that God has given the boys a chance to better themselves. 

And the principal left us with this:

Super Parents' Over-Indulgence Leads to Terrors (S.P.O.I.L.T)

The hubs and I have a really long way to go in our parenting journey.

No comments: