Thursday, March 13, 2014

Retail Therapy

A friend's brother was in town for business and she asked him to bring the boys a little something from Jogja. Nice! And this is one of the things I miss about Jogja, a state less developed than our very affluent Singapore: 人情味

So he contacted me the evening before he flew off and asked for my address. I wasn't very comfortable hosting a man I don't know when the hubs is not around. So I arranged to meet him at the airport after I dropped the boys off at school. 

    The haze gets worse the nearer I get to the airport.

After picking up the stuff and having breakfast, there wasn't enough time for me to go home and be productive. So I decided to just hang around in the airport and took advantage of the GST-free shopping.

Those who know me well know I'm not one who's big on shopping. Coming from a single income family means we have to watch our wallets quite carefully and tighten our belts. The hubs and I are more willing to spend on the kids rather than ourselves (which parent isn't!). But this morning, I decided I earned the rights to be a little impulsive and started to swipe the supp card that the hubs got for me (I was careful not to use my own credit card....haha). My purchases weren't worthy by anyone's standard. There were no clothes, no shoes and no jewelleries or make-up. Some items are even for the kids.

    The boys have to bring a tissue box to school at the beginning of every term and I thought these, with their colourful and pretty packaging, are rather suitable. 

    Saw this and was a little put off by the manufacturer.

    Saw this little coloring pad and thought I'll get it for Dallen, since I can easily carry it in my bag for use when we dine out.

    My prizes purchase of the day. What can I say? I love books! 

So, there you have it. Simple purchases, great joy. Who says the best thing has to be expensive?

No comments: